So, here is my problem. I'll tell you from the start that its NOT a bad hard drive:
- I tried to install more memory than the computer could recognize
- I was never able to get the computer fully booted after that (I got to the setup screen to verify the new amount of memory, but that's it)
- I now get an error on a black screen that says "Disk Read Error. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
- A restart by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del takes me to the same screen every time
- Checked all the cables and connections inside the computer
- Pulled the motherboard battery
- Hit F2 (or was it F12) to select where to boot from, tried all options
- Booted to the utility partition and scanned all hardware, everything checked out
- On either the F2 or F12 screen, typed Fn+F to reset BIOS defaults
- Researched the problem on the web and learned that it is likely a BIOS error
Help! If you can get my computer fixed, I'll promote you and/or your business on my blog, Twitter, CitySpeek and anywhere else. Thank you!
UPDATE 1/25/09: I have downloaded BartXP and burned it onto a CD, no luck...same outcome. I just learned that maybe its BartPE that I should be using. Sounds like I need to download and run it on a working machine, then burn it that way before trying to run it on my broken machine (opposed to just burning the bartpe.exe file to a CD).
-Jeff the Great